Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Glory of the Old Ones...

These days, i find myself going back in time sometimes. I mean, one pertinent example would be the books I sometimes come across in some bookstore and decide to splurge on. I think it actually started a couple of years back, when something made me re connect with that wondrous land C.S Lewis created for kids, Narnia. I had a craving then to get all the Narnia books and get transported back to the days I had first read them, in the comfortable environs of the library of the Jubail British Academy. Oh, I didn't just want to read them. I also wanted to be transported back to being that kid who lost himself in Narnia along with Peter, Edmund and the rest of the gang.

Since then, I have been trying to get back literature I immensely enjoyed as a kid. I even went back and read a couple of my favorite Enid Blyton series during those days, the 5 Find Outers. Go Fatty! (Though I have to admit, I did not enjoy those as much as I thought I would, and ended up giving them as a birthday gift to my cousin's kid!). A lot of them, I have been able to trace. Though some of them are still lost to me. I would love to get my hands on some of Nina Bawden's work, which I used to love. I remember the White Horse Gang was my fave. But despite this, I was delighted at coming across some which I had even forgotten about. Like the other day, while browsing in Odyssey, I came across the complete collection of The Borrowers. This series, the result of a wonderfully imaginative germ of an idea, of little people who live in the recesses of our houses, was something I had forgotten about. Of course, once I saw it, I had to grab it.

Shucks... where are those old Buster's I used to be crazy about??

No comments: