Saturday, February 28, 2009

Why must Salim die?

I stumbled upon a book promotion event today in Crossword. I had been there to kill some time on my own before dinner, when i saw the chairs arranged for a session of some sort. I came to know that the author Mukul Deva was promoting his new book, "Salim Must Die". On first appearance i got to say i was not too impressed, but i thought I'll stay on since i didnt have much better to do this Saturday evening (a sharp contrast to my last coupla Saturday's ;)). I have to admit, i think i was impressed enough to give one of his books a try.
The guy was a former military guy who has written some books, including his first novel, 'Lashkar', which is supposed to be India's first military thriller. What impressed me the most was the fact that he didn't seem to be shying away from making strong statements and he seemed to have done his homework very well. He had strong views on the growth of fundmentalism and the response the Indian government(or the lack of it), and was not afraid to be drawn into a discussion on them. On top of that, he was articulate and pretty much in tune with the 'dude' lingo we seem to use so much.
I had to leave the session during the question and answer part, but i think i will defintely try to see now why Salim must die!

No comments: